How To Keep Your Computers Up-To-Date
Technology moves so fast, sometimes it’s hard to keep up.
All computers get outdated eventually.
To keep your systems healthy and secure, you need to update the software regularly. If you don’t do that, your software gets outdated, and weak spots can form where you’re vulnerable for attack.
That can put your business at serious risk!
The reality is that the internet can be a dangerous place.
It’s filled with people trying to do harmful things to your computers that can threaten your business. Viruses and malware are waiting to be downloaded by a careless employee and infect your systems.
Usually, you have anti-virus and anti-malware software on your computers to protect you from this. But when your software is out-of-date, you might have vulnerabilities that open up your business for attack.
Malicious people can exploit that and cause damage to your computers.
The security of your systems is only as strong as the weakest link. All of your computers and devices in the office are linked to each other. As long as some of them are vulnerable, then all of your machines are vulnerable.
If you’re active on the internet, it’s only a matter of time until you run into something harmful.
All it takes is one careless employee to download a nasty virus, and you’re in big trouble.
You Need To Update Your Machines Regularly
The best way to eliminate emergencies and downtime in your business is to make sure that you prevent problems from forming in the first place.
That’s why you need good anti-virus and anti-malware software on your computers. They eliminate vulnerabilities and protect your computers from harmful programs.
But just installing an anti-virus or anti-malware program isn’t enough.
Viruses and malware are constantly evolving into new forms that will break into your computer in new ways.
Your software needs to be updated regularly so itcan protect your machines against these new attacks.
It’s a constant arms race that never ends.
To keep your systems secure and healthy, you need to update them regularly.
What You Should Update To Keep Your Computers Safe
You need to update the following systems regularly:
1. Your Operating System (Windows / Mac )
Your operating system is the main software that’s running on your computer. Most likely, your operating system is either Windows or Mac.
Microsoft releases new official updates for Windows once every month.
These updates remove vulnerabilities from your system and are important to download.
2. Your Anti-Malware Program
Malware are programs that attack your computer and damage it.
Malware is like a fire that’s burning down your computer. Anti-malware kills these fires.
Since malware is constantly changing and evolving, you need to update your anti-malware software frequently. Usually, you’ll have to update this several times a day.
3. Your Anti-Virus Program
A virus is a computer program that takes advantage of a vulnerability to install or run malware.
Viruses install and run harmful programs on your computer.
Your anti-virus software prevents these fires from starting in the first place.
Just like with your anti-malware software, you need to update this several times a day.
4. Your Firewall Firmware
Your firewall inspects data that’s coming in and out of the computer. Whenever it notices something suspicious, it alerts you or blocks it from passing through.
You need to update your firewall firmware every couple of months.
5. Your Third-Party Applications
Third-party applications are programs that work on your operating system, but are created by a different manufacturer.
Each of these programs have their own update cycle. You usually have to update these applications every few months.
How To Update Your Computers
You can configure your software to download and install most of these updates automatically.
That saves you a lot of time, and gives you some security that most of your programs are up-to-date.
But some of these updates you’ll have to do manually yourself.
How do you do that?
- You go to each computer.
- Open the programs you want to update.
- Find and click on the “update” button.
It’s as simple as that.
But when you do it yourself, it can go wrong.
Why Updating Your Computers Manually Is Not The Best Solution.
You could update all your software yourself.
But that might be a bad idea.
- It costs a lot of time. Updating your computer is a hassle. The more computers you have, the worse it gets. You’ll have to update all of your computers frequently. It can take a lot of time. That’s time you could have spent on your business.
- You won’t get all updates. Regular updates only install the necessary updates you’ll absolutely need. They might skip over other intermediate fixes that would be useful for you.
- Something might go wrong. Sometimes your computer makes a mistake installing an update. You try to update your software, but it doesn’t work. And it won’t let you know that. You assume that the update was installed correctly, but you’re actually still vulnerable to the same threats.
- You’ll get updates too late. Unless you always download all new updates instantly, there will always be a short period where your computer is vulnerable. By the time you decide to update your computer, you might have been vulnerable to attack for a few days.
- Updates can happen at inconvenient moments. You can’t always control when your computer decides to update itself. Sometimes it happens when you’re in the middle of something. Right when you need your computer most, it can be busy installing an update and you won’t be able to use it.
In short: keeping your computers up-to-date is time-consuming and can be a hassle.
Can you do it yourself?
Should you do it yourself?
We Can Update Your Computers Automatically
One of the easiest ways to keep your environment safe and up-to-date is to have us do it for you automatically.
With our Remote Management And Monitoring-service, that’s exactly what we’ll do.
We proactively manage and maintain your technology environment so all your devices are always healthy and up-to-date – consistently and reliably.
You’ll save yourself a lot of time and effort.
And you can go to bed at night knowing your machines are safe and up-to-date.